Supported by NEWHAVEN HERITAGE CENTRE which is recognised as a Scottish registered charity No. SC044837
Website supported by
The school was designed by James Lessels and Harry Taylor of George Street, Edinburgh and opened in 1845 with later extensions in 1874 and 1875. The firm of Lessels and Taylor were architects of renown responsible for a number of buildings in the New Town or for revising their design.
It is a rare example of an early Victorian educational establishment with many period features. This jewel of Victorian architecture is preserved with its original timber sash and case windows, a relatively unchanged interior retaining timber boarded dado panelling, iron radiators, stone stairs, cast-iron banisters and double-height hall making the school an impressive and virtually complete example of its type.
Subject to confirmation, guided tours will take place at 2.30pm and 3.30pm and talks will be given at 2pm and 3pm. Visitors will also be able to visit the “Wee Museum”, the pride and joy of Victoria’s pupils.
Local Newhaveners will be on hand to answer questions and members of the committee of Newhaven Heritage will be available to share their vision of what the school could become as the village’s Heritage Centre.
There will be activities for children, too, and refreshments for all available.
SATURDAY 29 SEPT 2018
Make a date with an important lady
VICTORIA PRIMARY SCHOOL
Edinburgh’s Oldest Working Primary